Friday, October 10, 2008

When Will Large OLED TVs Come Out?

"CEATEC JAPAN 2008," a general exhibition of the latest IT and electronics technologies, took place from Sept 30 to Oct 4, 2008. Among TV-related exhibits, which can be described as the "face" of electronics manufacturers, exhibitors presented a variety of display technologies, including a slim TV with the thinnest part measuring less than one inch (25.4mm), 3D video devices and higher image quality based on a super resolution technology.

Sony Corp attracted many visitors to its booth last year because it announced the world's first 11-inch OLED TV on the day before CEATEC. I remember thinking to myself, "The future of OLED TVs is bright." Sony, of course, presented OLED TVs at this year's CEATEC as well. The company exhibited a new 0.3mm slim OLED panel and an OLED TV that only measures 0.9mm at its slimmest part.

In spite of all this, Panasonic and other manufacturers aiming to commercialize OLED TVs did not have any OELD-related exhibits. And I heard many of the display engineers I met at the show say, "I don't feel the same impact that I felt last year." I suppose such an impression stemmed from their disappointment that they could not see any progress toward larger OLED TV products this year. Read full column at Tech-On.

No comments: